Chartered in 2005, the CRLC is a private, non-profit land trust dedicated to serving the City of Richmond and the Counties of Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover, Goochland, Powhatan, New Kent, and
Charles City. Our mission is to conserve and protect the natural and historic land and water resources of Virginia’s Capital Region for the benefit of current and future generations. We achieve our
goals by partnering with individuals, businesses, other non-profit organizations, and state and local government agencies. We use a cooperative approach that promotes voluntary conservation through
the donation of conservation easements. In its first ten years, CRLC facilitated the conservation of over 6,750 acres of land, including over 34 miles of stream and river frontage. CRLC is one of the
holders of the conservation easement on Richmond’s James River Park System and played a key role in the creation of this important easement.
CRLC educates landowners and communities about the public benefits of land conservation and conservation easements, facilitates the creation of easements, and serves as a holder of conservation easements. We do this by reaching out to hundreds of landowners, holding numerous community seminars, and forging partnerships with organizations and agencies whose missions complement ours. Through outreach, education, and community partnerships, CRLC supports options for landowners who wish to voluntarily and permanently limit development on their land with conservation easements in exchange for a legacy of stewardship. Qualifying easements are charitable donations that also provide their donors with state and federal tax benefits.
CRLC VISION STATEMENT:
Our vision for the future of Virginia’s Capital Region includes:
Protecting significant areas of land that preserve our healthy watersheds, historic landscapes, forests, and farms
Promoting a healthy community that enjoys connected natural areas, a regional trail network, a vibrant economy, and a better quality of life
Educating our community and nurturing a well-developed land conservation ethic
Earning recognition as a preeminent and respected authority in land conservation
CRLC’s Core Values provide the foundation for all strategies, policies, and organizational decisions.
Integrity and Excellence
We embrace the highest ethical standards and operate with complete transparency. We strive to earn and maintain the trust of landowners, donors, partners and the general public.
We work collaboratively to assist our partners and to help craft conservation solutions that best serve our communities.
Permanent and Voluntary Land Conservation
We are committed to voluntary methods of land conservation, such as conservation easements, that will permanently conserve natural and historic lands throughout Virginia’s Capital Region.
Relevance to Our Community and Sense of Place
We are dedicated to sustaining our region’s healthy communities and strong sense of place.
We are committed to the long-term monitoring and management of permanently protected lands.
We hold ourselves to the highest performance standards and employ the most advanced and innovative practices in the conduct of our work.
Board of Director
• Brian J. Watson, CRLC President (Markel Corporation)
• Bill Greenleaf, CRLC Vice-President (Virginia Community Capital) • Mark Endries, CRLC Treasurer (Luck Stone)
• Mary Susan Davies, CRLC Secretary (Attorney)
• Leah Henschen (SunTrust Bank)
• Anj McClain (Catapult Inc.)
• Philip Reed (McLean-Faulconer, Inc.)
• Aaron Revere (Resource Environmental Solutions)
• Tad Thompson (Tuckahoe Plantation)
• Dan Jones (Gallier Meyer Real Estate)
• Bobby Lamb (Attorney in Private Practice)
• Brooks Smith, (Troutman Sanders LLP)
• Heather Barrar (Chesterfield County)
• Walter Beck (Vulcan Materials Company)
• Matt Gottwald (Beechwood Farm)
• Kerry Hutcherson (Rudy, Coyner & Associates)
• TJ Mascia (Resource Environmental Solutions)
• F. Scott Reed (Prologue Systems)
• Sarah Richardson (Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation)
• Carol Wampler (Retired, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality)
• David Willis (Lumber Liquidators)
CRLC is a proud member of the: